2004/10/26

Ms. Manners has definitely left the building.

Okay folks, gotta rant. I try to be considerate of other people, including those I work with. I may not know them, but they get the same courtesy extended to them as I extend to strangers. The polite head nod, the women go first, giving people their space, etc. Well, within 5 minutes, two things happened that really got under my skin.

Imagine about sixty minutes past normal lunch time. (btw, people scheduling lunch-time meetings should be....nevermind). I grab my debit card to hit the in-house ATM before going to the cafeteria. The ATM is located in a little cubby off to the side of a hallway leading to a set of the ground floor restrooms. Looking down the hallway, you have a cubby with the ATM on the right, the stamp machine and the shoe shine guy on the right. Basically, no where to stand other than in front of the machine.

Someone is using the ATM. I don't like being crowded. I don't like crowding people, especially with no room to do so. So, I stand just down the hallway, ATM card ready. I'm on the right side of the hallway, essentially starting an ATM queue. Well, after about five minutes, the person at the ATM isn't finished. Three "ladies" walk down the hall, past me, and stand right behind the person at the ATM. I'm talking 6 to 12 inches away from the person's back. They are all conversing, paying me no mind, crowding the already cramped space. About about another 3 to 5 minutes later, one of them notices me just standing there. She asks if I was waiting for the ATM. At that same moment, the original user says that the ATM is out of order. I reply to the question, "Well, I was. Thanks for noticing." I then turn and walk back to the elevators to run up to the cube to see if I can scrounge some money for lunch.

I come down alone on the elevator, into situation two. Our elevator lobby has six elevators. Sometimes it only feels like three are working. So, on a good day after lunch, the lobby gets crowded. Well, I'm the only one in this particular elevator, standing at the front near the double doors. It gets to ground floor, the doors open. Now, normally, you'd think people would let you off the elevator before trying to board. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. People start to move into the elevator without even looking to see if someone is there first. Again, wrapped up in their little worlds, I guess. Imagine their surprise when they look ahead to see my 6'2" bulk in front of them. I have to actually look down at them and sternly say "Excuse Me!" for them to realize that they need to step aside before I could get off.

Ms. Manners has left the building.

2 comments:

Ken said...

I feel your pain, bud.

The ATMs must be a cubby hole thing. Its the same way in our building. So of course, I'm the rude one when I stand in front of the entryway, blocking off anyone that tries to cut in front. I've only had to do this *a dozen times!*

The elevator this is a huge pet peeve too. People are surprised when I actually body check them. Have to be careful though. One female was pissed because "invaded her space to the point of harrassment." So I stood there saying "huh?" while blocking the doors and letting them shut behind me before she could get on.

Some people definately have to learn the hard way.

TriStupe said...

well, you're not the only one that has to go through these shit.

i once got the door slammed on my face, and what they person before me could do is that she could jut hold it a wee bit longer!!!