2004/10/30

Kick the Republican!

A part-time college instructor has apologized for kicking a student wearing a Republican sweatshirt in an off-campus incident.

Fort Lewis College student Mark O'Donnell said he was showing people his College Republicans sweatshirt, which said "Work for us now ... or work for us later," when Maria Spero kicked him.

After kicking him, Spero said "she should have kicked me harder and higher," said O'Donnell. In a police report O'Donnell said Spero kicked him in the right calf.

Durango Police Sgt. Mitch Higgins said Saturday that O'Donnell wanted to press charges against Spero and a misdemeanor summons would be issued.

"To physically take that out on someone because you disagree with them, that is completely wrong," said O'Donnell.

David Eppich, assistant to the president of the college, said the college has formally apologized for the incident. He said an investigation indicated Spero, a visiting instructor of modern languages, did not know O'Donnell was a student and she has apologized.

"I acted entirely inappropriately by kicking you, giving vent to a thoughtless knee-jerk political reaction that should never have happened. I apologize for my untoward comments. Before the incident, I did not know you and that you are a Fort Lewis student. I am entirely sorry. I am ashamed of my behavior, and I hope you will accept my apology," Spero said in a letter to O'Donnell dated Oct. 29.

O'Donnell said the apology wasn't enough, and he planned to file a complaint with the college.

"I just think that students are held accountable for how they act and what they do in town. They can have actions brought against them. It is imperative that professors should be held accountable for their actions in town and on campus."

Notice the part of the story that I bolded. To me, that makes me think that there was an understanding that it is okay to assault a fellow instructor for their political beliefs. WTF?!?!? As with all assault, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. It will only be a misdemeanor, but it is all about standing up for your principles. Never let anyone push you around. Don't get physical, get legal.

No comments: