2005/09/19

Learn about beer at college.

At 6 p.m. Sept. 29, Charles Bamforth will walk into a lecture hall to be met by 370 undergraduates at UC Davis. Bamforth, 53, is a Ph.D., Sc.D., who teaches "Introduction to Beer and Brewing."


What do you tell students on the first day?

Call up your mums and dads and say, "I had my first class at Davis and it was all about beer."


Are there prerequisites?

It's a general education class. I can't use words like molecule. There's an upper-division class where they actually design and brew their own beers.

If there are 50 beers on tap, what do you order?

Something out of a bottle.


Why?

Because if there are 50 beers on tap I worry that they are not being moved through those pipes as quickly as they should be.


Is there a proper way to drink bottled beer?

Put it into a glass. It drives me nuts when people drink out of the bottle or can. If you had a fancy wine you wouldn't take the cork out and drink it straight out of the bottle.

You know, I think that where I went to college could never teach this course. There would be such an uproar from the MADD, AA, and conservative Christian folks that they would completely ignore the fact that it is educational and scientific in nature. I wonder how they circumvent the drinking age. Hmmmmm.

No comments: