2004/12/28

Everyone have a nice Christmas? 44,000 didn't.

As I was sitting at my PC on Christmas day, I had pretty much shut everything else out of my mind. My little one was up having the time of his life playing with new toys. My wife was helping her mother out with cooking. I was playing City of Heroes, feeling good about life. Basically, I had encapsulated myself into my own little world, family and friends.

So, when I finally read the news, my jaw dropped. Thousands killed by underwater earthquake-spawned tidal wave. THOUSANDS?!?!?! I know that many are with me by saying that thoughts and prayers go out to the victim's families and survivors. The total is now up to 44,000 people.

Florida had it rough this year. Three hurricanes were a lot. However, the loss of life was minimal. There was warning. People prepared. Technology is a beautiful thing.

There will always be those that are less fortunate than you. That is what the Christmas season is all about, helping those people. As I went to work on Monday, I saw the food collection bins full. Someone forgot to have them sent out for Christmas. The little things help, if you aren't too big to notice them.

No comments: