2006/09/15

Misc. Friday Ramblings...



Friday FIREPOWER!
  • The Box of Truth: Helmets vs Pistols.
    Several people have asked me to shoot a new Kevlar helmet. My old buddy Ponyboy finally found a couple and sent them to me to test.

    Before we start, let me explain that we are not conducting "scientifically valid" tests on these brain buckets. It is my understanding that the military requires these helmets to withstand a round of 5.56 Ball at 200 yards. I am not certain of all the parameters, but it doesn't really matter, because I will not be repeating their tests. They already do that one and the helmets passed. We'll do something different.

    Helmets are mostly designed to protect against shrapnel. I don't have any hand grenades, but I do have some handguns. Today, we're going to shoot the helmets with some common handgun calibers and see if they will be stopped.

    The only weapon that penetrated was chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev. It was shot out of a CZ-52, a C&R eligible pistol.

  • Lego Minigun.
    We've been trying to utilize our Lego collection for the production of projectile apparatuses ever since the Pirate sets stopped coming with those flickable cannons. Now it seems our sad attempts have been eternally showed up by Sebastian's ULTIMATE Lego Chaingun, which has 8 barrels, a 64 shot capacity, and an eleven rounds per second firing rate. The rubberband chaingun took over a month to build, and is powered by an honest-to-goodness Lego motor. Sebastian has all sorts of ideas how to mod up his gun even more, including an ammo counter or even faster firing rate, but whatever he manages to do it's clear all we're going to be bringing to our next rubberband fight is a white flag.

    I wonder how long it will take for the BATFE to classify this as GCA '68 non-compliant.

No comments: