2005/08/03

Oh hey, look who wants time off to clean out his system.

Bonds Says He Doesn't Expect to Play Now

Barry Bonds doesn't expect to play this season because of his injured right knee, putting the San Francisco slugger's quest for the career home run record on hold until at least 2006.

"I don't think you're going to see me out there this year," Bonds told MLB.com on Monday. "That's the reality of the situation. I'm improving. I'm happy with the progress. I'm working out hard on the exercise bike and the elliptical machine, but I'm just not there yet. The last thing I want is to get back on the field and be out again a week later."

Bonds said a recent MRI showed some fluid building up in the knee that has been operated on three times since Jan. 31. He said his doctors advised him to wait until next year to return to the Giants.

"He has not informed the Giants of that decision," assistant general manager Ned Colletti told The Associated Press.

*tin foil hat time*

Smart decision on his part. He will weather the heat from the front office and fans, but give himself time to get the system flushed. No one wants to take the 'roids spotlight off of Palmeiro.

No comments: