2008/05/02

Ron Simmons inducted into hall of fame

From http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/stories/2008/05/01/hallburst_0502.html:
That player was Ron Simmons, an All-State defensive lineman from Warner Robins High. Simmons would sign with Florida State where he would become a two-time All-American.

On Thursday Simmons, who now lives in Marietta, was one of 13 players named to the College Football Hall of Fame.

"This has to be one of the greatest honors that I have ever received and I can't tell you how thrilled I am," Simmons told the AJC on Thursday. "When I look at all of the great players who are in the Hall of Fame, I can't believe I'm on that list. This a tribute that I share with all of those guys who got things started at Florida State."

After his playing days Simmons became a professional wrestler.

"There are so many people who help you get to a place like this," said Simmons, who turns 50 on May 15. "I don't know that I can thank them all but I am going to try."

I've watch Ron wrestle from his days with Butch Reed in the NWA as the team of DOOM. When it morphed into the WCW, Ron was doing great in singles competition. He really shined once he moved on to the WWF with the Nation of Domination and APA. Currently, though, his funniest bit to date is showing up at opportune times to chime in with "Damn!". Watch below.







No comments: