2007/06/22

Misc. Friday Ramblings...

Sign in a Hotel Bar.
Hotel Bar. No Drinking Prohibited.

Friday FIREPOWER!
  • Kel-Tec PF-9
    Kel-Tec CNC of Cocoa, Florida continues to impress me with their innovative and very practical firearm designs. They pretty much went from nothing just a few short years ago to dominating the pocket auto market with their super-light .32 ACP pistol, and then followed up with the .380 version after that.

    Now, Kel-Tec is in full production of their new slim single stack 9mm pistol. It seems to be a blend of the design of their double-stack P-11 and their little .380 pocket gun, the P-3AT.

    There were really no huge surprises for me with the PF-9. It offered everything that I have come to expect from Kel-Tec. They offer quality products, and have a very good reputation for customer service. The PF-9 was perfectly reliable with no failures of any kind during testing. The performance of the ammunition tested displayed higher velocities than expected from the short barrel. The pistol is extremely slim and light for a 9mm Luger handgun. It carries beautifully tucked into the waistband, and just disappears in a jeans pocket. It prints much less than does my .38 Special J-frame S&W, is almost as light, and offers three more shots without reloading. It is also easier to shoot well. Will it replace the J-frame in my pocket? I don’t know. I will have to shoot it a lot more before deciding, and old habits die hard. However, I would feel very well-armed carrying this Kel-Tec anywhere. It is slim, light, reliable, powerful, and accurate. It is also surprisingly affordable, listing at just $333 US at the time of this writing, and I have been receiving reports of real-world prices being much less. The PF-9 is a dandy pistol, and would be a great deal at twice the price. There is nothing else quite like it, and I highly recommend it.

    The most telling picture is this one. The P-3AT is a tiny gun to begin with. It easily disappears in the palm of my hand. However, my preference is for a bit higher caliber, so I went with a Kahr Mk9 Elite. I use it as a pocket pistol, and love it to death. However, it might just get replaced by this Kel-Tec.

  • Speaking of Kel-Tec, check out the RFB bullpup .308.


    Oooh, SBR version too!


  • Whisper your Arguments.
    Tamara would like to whisper a little something in your ear....220 grains of a little something.

No comments: