2005/11/17

You can't say that here.

"What's a bong?" Stephen asks. This from a man who also has a teen-aged daughter. Very strong on a financial analysis of any kind in any industry, but a bit behind the curve when it comes to one of the main fuel sources of popular culture.

A bong is a super-chargable means of smoking dope, Stephen. A bong is...."

"You can't say that here or I'll have to throw you out of the store," says a stern voice from the front.

Slowly I turned.

"I beg your pardon?"

It's the clerk who is glaring at us from behind the counter. "I said you can't use the B-word in here. They are "waterpipes."

"I'm sorry but I'm still not getting this. Are you saying that one cannot call a bong a bong?"

"Yes. It is store policy. Nobody in here is allowed to use that word in talking about these waterpipes."

Social intercourse is such a lost art nowadays. "I don't make the rules" and "It's just the way it is" are all too much the norm. Then again, some folks do have way too much time on their hands. Plus, you don't go to "bang you in the ass" prison for selling waterpipes, but you do for bongs. Hat tip to Rez for this one.

No comments: