2005/02/22

A little something to get the blood flowing...

...and the wood sporting! Thanks to my dad for the great link. Also click on the links below for some spectacular wallpaper.

One of the main attractions drawing me to the Nellis Air Force Base airshow in 2004 was an appearance by the newest addition to the inventory, the F-22 Raptor, which entered service just a few weeks before the show, at a cost of $258 million dollars each. Although I'd heard that a squadron had been formed at Langley AFB in Virginia, I didn't realize that several of the birds were also stationed here at Las Vegas. However, since Nellis is one of the main testing facilities, I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised.

In five years' time I'm sure we'll probably be sick of the sight of them, but at the moment the Raptor is a terrific novelty. It was great seeing them in action, but the flybys were a very ordinary affair, almost entirely consisting of high flat passes, with only one banking turn while they were in the airshow area, which was away from the crowd and at a great distance from the flightline. Fortunately, however, on the media day before the show I was at the Threat Training Facility in another part of the base, and managed to get this shot while standing on top of a Russian tank! Although it's backlit and a bit soft, it'll have to do until I get something better!

Fighter Wallpaper
Helicopter Wallpaper
Aircraft Wallpaper

No comments: